Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tempus Fugits, Baby!

Much ado about - well, about Christmas. And much ado about much to do...All of the cookies are baked and stored; all of the vittles are in-house, awaiting final prep; gifts ready to be wrapped...It's now a matter of putting stuff away...Or should I say "hiding" stuff, since the stuff that needs hiding is what I need at my fingertips during day-to-day living, but that should be out of the way during the descent of the 20+ family members who will be arriving the day after tomorrow...

For the first time in my adult life, there is no tree...At least, not yet...I'm still conflicted about the necessity of taking up much-needed floor space for something that isn't serving any useful purpose except as a place to hide the pickle...Considering that each of the individual family groups coming to celebrate with me will have their own tree, something they can enjoy in their own homes, is there really a need to have one here when space is at a premium?
It isn't too late to pay homage to Tannenbaum, so I'm keeping the option open until all the other stuff is done...

So, for the menu: We will be greeting the arrivals with biscuit-wrapped mini-dogs, Rotel dip, the requisite chips, nuts, Cheese and crackers, and deviled eggs...
For our meal, served buffet style: Roast Breast of Turkey, Glazed Ham, Swedish Meatballs, potato salad, baked beans, Stuffin' Muffins, (these are individual servings of sage dressing), cranberry, bread and rolls, and a cookie tray...I provide "soft" drinks - soda, coffee, tea, hot chocolate - but anything alcoholic has to be brought by those desiring same...Not that I have any objection, but I spent too many Christmases with people who couldn't remember most of it the day after..."BYOB" pretty much means bringing a limited amount and when it's gone, it's gone, so rarely is there an opportunity for anyone to over-indulge...

After we eat, the children will receive their gifts, and after kisses and hugs and thank-you's all around, they will gather around the kitchen table to work on little crafts, the older ones helping the younger ones, while the adults will gather in the living room for the distribution of the grab bag...Background: Many years ago, I called for a halt to the exchange of gifts between family units as a burden financially for some and idea-wise for all...Gifts are now limited to nieces and nephews...When I was working, I had money to generously gift my adult children and their spouses, in addition to buying gifts for my ten grandchildren...Once retired, I was forced to limit the amount I could give, so I drew on a tradition that my Mother founded - that of The Grab Bag...Everyone loves it and looks forward to it...During the year, I purchase more than 100 gifts, mostly Dollar Store stuff, with a few better things to add trading interest, bag 'em up in brown paper lunch sacks, and pass a basket around from which each person selects a bag until we run out...Each participant usually gets about 10 or so bags, and there is much giggling, laughing, and trading (sight unseen) of crap in the hope of getting something better, which then leads to much swearing at having been ripped off...

Coffee and cookies follow, the kids show off the crafts they made and then the day is done...

Since I have never subscribed to the tradition of some people that Christmas Eve is somehow a time to "visit" others, having always had plenty to do at the Eleventh Hour, I may pop in here sometime tomorrow, depending on how much hiding I can manage today...But if I don't get back, Blessings of Christmas to all who enter here...

No comments:

Post a Comment