Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Everything but Coats

Well, in a follow-up to yesterday's post about finding stuff in places where it inexplicably ends up, I stuck my head in the coat closet in the dining room. It's not insulated and stays really cool, dare I say cold?, in there all winter, and it's where I store the cookies I've baked for the Christmas season...

I found two winter coats, a fall jacket, a rain coat, a shawl - a real beauty, black with a beaded fringe which I found in the dollar store, for God's sake!, and which has garnered envious glances from some pretty stylish women, a group to which I definitely do not belong...That's pretty much it for garments that got the closet the name Coat...

Further excavation uncovered a plastic bag hanging on a hook and containing two pair of gloves, a scarf, and some lint...I will be putting the gloves in the trunk of my car in case I'm ever in need while I'm out...I'm discarding the scarf because it's ugly...And the lint will go with it because antique or not, it's as ugly as the scarf...

Among the inventoried items: The leaf for the dining room table; the board that serves alternately as the platform for the Christmas tree and a good surface for jigsaw puzzles; an umbrella stroller I bought when my youngest son's first child was born (she rode in it twice, preferring instead to push it), and used twice for his second daughter, who wanted no part of it; a pair of lined boots older than my youngest son which I had saved to wear when I shovel snow - as if! - and which have a split in the side, which if I did shovel snow, would allow the lining and my sock to get wet and my foot uncomfortable. This may be why I no longer shovel snow. Also, there is an oil painting done by my father of the home in which he once lived; the ironing board; the attachments for the vacuum cleaner; two table cloths and runner - no, not a marathoner who lost his way, one that goes down the center of the tablecloth to hide the stain that won't come out; and some ten-year-old wrapping paper; a trio of lace curtain panels that I gleaned from the prop room, (I don't KNOW why!)when we cleaned out a local theater; a warming tray, and a set of those things that you put under the legs of heavy furniture to slide it without lifting...They're called Moving Men.

I think I'll shut the door now, eat the cookies, and take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment