Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Oh My O

The sun is in and out and the wind blows. Lots of big white (sometimes gray) clouds making it feel more like a late September day than an early May day. We've had enough rain to float an ark, if there was anyone who knew how to build one. (WTH is a cubit, anyway?)

I'm contemplating a diet (read "lifestyle change") that will, if I read it correctly, lose me the 27 pounds of lard that I'm hauling around. Now this particular regimen calls for 20 minutes of walking daily. That may be the stumbling, or even falling down, block for me at the outset. I have difficulty walking for the 20 or so seconds that it takes me to walk from the sofa to the fridge. That doesn't stop me, which is why I need to lose that 27 pounds. Or just under two stone if you follow the British table of weights and measures. I'll let you know how it plays out.

I had a visit last Saturday from my eldest and his lovely wife and their two astounding daughters. Both teenagers in years, but certainly unlike the typical teen of today. Not a "like" or a "you know" to make me grind my teeth. They play music, they spell, they write for the school newspaper, they ring the bells in church and they earn High Honors in the report card department. Too good to be true, right? They go to a restaurant and sit gracefully, order anything but burger 'n fries, and have intelligent discussions about current events. And they're mine.

Speaking of, being mine, that is, in March I gained another granddaughter. The 11th. grandchild is thriving. Only seven weeks later, I became a Great Grandmother for the first time. Right now, the little girl is in the NICU with some respiratory distress, but nothing with long-lasting effects, or so we are being told. Or so we (meaning me) are not being told. The Mother of this little one has no problem imparting health updates on Twitter or on the internet in a publicly-published blog, which I have been reading since she was a junior at University but she doesn't know it. I think it would be a good thing to be in on the developments without having to find out through subterfuge. I'm asking here for a vote. Do you think, after eight years, I should openly declare that I am present among the other readers of the often-too-revealing blog?

Back to Osama. The president of the USA has decided not to release the death photos of the bullet-riddled body of Bin Laden. That's one decision of his I can live with. But the blood-thirsty among us are raging to see the pictures. And the media clamoring for their release will sue to gain access to the gore. OMG, what have we become?

No comments:

Post a Comment