Thursday, August 12, 2010

Been a While

I haven't been around. Well, I've been around, just not around here. Had some bad days - not terrible - just bad. Then went on vacation. And it's been too bloody hot to even think let alone think of posting.

I've been like the weather. Dry. Very dry. We definitely need rain. Got some today, and while it's welcome, it's not sufficient.

I still stubbornly maintain my stance against the air conditioner in my window. Haven't installed it the last couple of years, and despite the intense heat and humidity of this summer, I'm holding fast. What the hell. My youngest son has central air in his house, and I have a key. Or a walk around the Dollar Store gets me a brief respite from the Dog Days. Their A/C is going whether I'm there or not so it doesn't cost them extra when I peruse the merchandise. Buy something. Don't buy something. They don't care. What's that across the parking lot? I do declare it's a Mickey D's. Stroll over and get a Smoothie. Sit and sip a bit. A stop at the market for some watermelon. Linger a while in the frozen food aisle.
A "cool" way to spend the afternoon.

Home for a chicken salad and sliced tomato supper. Nothing too heavy. A frosty pitcher of sweet iced tea awaits. Sit on the screened-in front porch with a good book and a tall cool drink. Sun is low in the sky and the ceiling fan in the bedroom makes the night tolerable.

No strenuous activity during the hot spell, except when the electric bill arrives. I can be forgiven for that big, wide smile, can't I?

Soon it will be Fall. Then Winter. The hot, humid weather nothing but a memory. And I have vowed never to complain again about being cold.

As for vacation, it was lovely. Met a magician at dinner; had a turkey platter that would have fed a small country; granddaughter got a pizza crust t-shirt. Come back tomorrow for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment