Monday, June 14, 2010

I Guess It's Me

I don't get Facebook. I didn't get My Space either, when it was all the rage. Oh I joined My Space at the insistence of some friends. Only problem was it repeatedly refused to let me sign in - to my account. Frustrated me no end so I abandoned it.

Then, Chris Hansen does all those exposes of predators who frequented My Space chat rooms and suddenly My Space lost cred. And along comes Facebook. I got a tip that someone I had been searching for might be found on that site, so I signed up. The only people I found were those who only shared their info with "friends". Since I had little interest in befriending these people, I closed the account. And after I did, I got an e-mail from the nice folks who run the place assuring me that I would change my mind, and when I did, they would welcome me back. Nice to know they're keeping my seat warm. But it seems to me that the only reason people want to be on Facebook is to see how many "friends" they can garner. Apparently it gives one a sense of achievement to get to say. "I have xxx number of friends. I'm so popular."

Now the thing that makes me crazy is the New Age of Advertising where companies ask me to join them on Facebook. They offer coupons, and contests, and information about the product. On Facebook. Any takers? Not I, sez I. May not mean much to the giants of industry, but I refuse to do business with a company whose only identity is how many "friends" they have. The point of being in business is to have customers. And the way to get customers is to have a good quality, reasonably priced, readily available product. Tell me about it on TV or in the newspaper. And give me a coupon to introduce it. My return purchases will tell you how friendly I am.

Like I said earlier, I don't get it. If you really think all of these "friends" are friends, tell 'em you're moving and need help. That's when you find out who your friends are.

No comments:

Post a Comment