Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Last Day

It's December 31st. 2011. One more year. Who would have ever thought? Next week will be three years since my cancer diagnosis. The following week will be three years since my surgery for colon cancer. That was followed by six months of chemotherapy. And iron infusions to bring my hemoglobin level back up to normal. And lots of doctor appointments and blood work and CT scans etc., etc., etc. Thus far, my blood work has been better than good. My hemoglobin is normal. My CEA, which is a tumor marker, has been good. My CT scans have shown "no mass, no active disease."

For each of those three years, I have hosted Christmas, just as I did pre-cancer. This year, for the first time, I made peace with the fact that there is no perfect Christmas. Something will go awry. And who cares? We all have our health, (well, most of it), we all have jobs, and homes, and plenty to eat and we are together.

Yesterday, I mailed all my "thank you" notes and paid all my bills. I had strength enough to do three loads of laundry. And my mind is okay because I can still figure out the daily cryptogram without a hint.

I'm ending 2011 with a clean slate. You know what would be nice? To say the same thing next December 31st. Until then - Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment