Sunday, March 14, 2010

Good for Another 3,000 Miles

It's been well-documented that I had cancer. I had surgery to get it out. I had chemo to keep it out. And now we have the follow-up stuff to make sure it stays out.

So on Wednesday, I finally got around to having the colonoscopy that I was supposed to have on the 17th. of Feb., except I got sick and couldn't have it. I did blog about it if you really want to know the sordid details. Suffice it to say here, I had the same reaction to the Bisacodyl that ocurred during the previous prep. The headache, the nausea. Undaunted, I refused to puke and I struggled the liquid down,
(yuk) and did what I had to do. I was not going to postpone this again.

Showed up at the Endoscopy Center as scheduled, checked in, had the scope with no complications, and when I woke up, the nice lady gave me a nice cup of coffee and two nice cookies, and I felt lots better.

Learned that there was a polyp which was removed and sent to pathology. Also, there was a hemorrhoid! I thought Dr Saeed got them all in January. He's not getting this one!

Had a nice breakfast, went to Fifth St. and hung out with the kids. Came home to a really good night's sleep.

On Friday, I got a call that the pathology was back and the polyp was benign. Until I heard the word, I wasn't ready to admit that I was apprehensive about the results. Funny. I really felt that the veil lifted. After a year of uncertainty.

But my sense of well-being was not to last very long. Because this is the week-end of the time change. Anyone who knows me knows my feelings about this bi-annual lunacy. Take daylight off the front of the day and put it on the back of the day. For nine months. Who decides these things? So now, the kid next door leaves for school in the dark. Maybe only for a few weeks, but what the hell? Why should he have to? When this was an agrarian society, it was nice that the farmers still had a little daylight at the end of his work day. Of course, most days, he was too tired to stay awake to enjoy it. So now, people can continue the frenetic pace late in the day. For what?

It is a tradition which has out-lived any usefulness. And I'm not sure it should even matter to me. The polyp was benign.

No comments:

Post a Comment